Friday, September 4, 2009

Day 0 Recap: I went to Paris and all I saw was this stupid airport

The airports themselves are surprisingly easy to navigate, if you overlook the people running them. I had some issues getting on the plane because Delta wouldn’t believe that I didn’t need a Visa, and Columbus listed the wrong terminal for my flight. Charles De Gaulle didn’t give me any problems, but I strongly suspect that the lady at the cafe served me destructively hot coffee because I didn’t speak French.

I met one of the other program participants, Alex, on the shuttle from the terminal to our plane. It went like this:
                     Me: You’re not studying abroad by any chance, are you?
                     Alex: Actually, I am. How did you know?
We were the only two white people on the bus. I told her she had been racially profiled.

The plane ride itself was fine, better than the flight to Paris at least. I couldn’t sleep at all and the only movies they showed were Star Trek and that one with the High School Musical guy who looks like a Ken doll. I also sat next to an engineer, which made me wonder whether I’d actually left Case. I will say this for Air France, though: they make airplane food as classy as can be managed. We got actual glass cups for our water and little fig pastries for dessert. The baguette was more suited as a doorstop than dinner, though.

We went through customs, which involved filling out what was basically the same form three different times, got in the van with two other girls, Thanna and Kinsey, and off we went.

So that’s travelling. Nothing exciting, but it’s day 3 at 12:40 am, after a day of touring ruins and crowded markets, so I’m too tired to share the oh-so-scintillating details of sitting on my butt for twelve hours. 

1 comment:

  1. I've never seen coffee soda, but there's a coffee shop at the U of C with soda coffee.

    ReplyDelete